If you’re wondering how to start a clothing brand that is both unique and profitable, you’re in the right place.
Starting a fashion brand has never been easier. You can set up an online store in just a few minutes and have your products listed within a day. There are countless tools and resources to help you get started. However, there is steep competition. The fashion market has plenty of creative individuals. How can you make sure your brand thrives in this space?
Fortunately, we’ve got the answer for you! Having a unique brand that speaks to your vision is the key to a profitable business. Take a look at these seven easy tips on how to start a clothing brand.
How to Create a Successful Fashion Brand
You might be wondering: are clothing boutiques even profitable?
If you invest the time and resources to create a distinctive fashion brand, it’s potentially very profitable. Building a successful fashion brand is about more than following steps. It’s about creating a brand that aligns with your unique vision.
Here are seven tips on how to create a successful fashion brand that stands out from the crowd:
1. Create Your Vision
Think of your vision as your North Star that will always be there to guide you. There will be ups and downs as you build your business, but figuring out your vision for the company will propel you forward and keep your customers coming back for more.
Some key aspects of your vision should include the following design information:
- Business/brand name
- Values and mission statement
- Voice and persona
- Brand colors
- Brand logo
- Website and store design
2. Get to Know Your Customers
Speaking of customers, getting to know yours can make all the difference. You have to know who it is you’re selling to. Are you focused on a certain demographic? People with the same hobbies? A specific movement? Make sure that you make this choice from your passions, it’ll be your motivating factor for a long time to come.
Consider the following characteristics as you determine your target market:
- Hobbies and interests
- Average income
- Current favorite stores
This is a great place to start and from here, you can get a lot more specific. The more aligned you are with your customers, the better your brand will be.
3. Determine Costs
Doing business in the fashion industry is a continually costly endeavor. Make sure you know how much it will cost you to keep things running. Ask yourself the following questions:
- How much am I paying for each item?
- What does it cost to design the items?
- How much inventory and at what price do I need to sell to make a profit?
- What additional costs are associated with product development?
- Do I have any other ongoing business-related costs?
Again, do your research and learn how you can make the best decisions for your business.
4. Decide on Distribution
Deciding where to sell your products is just as important as deciding how much to sell them for. Are you selling online, in-store, or both? Depending on your strategy, here are a couple of questions to get you started.
If you’re selling online:
- What platforms are you available on?
- Are you focused on just your site or can your customers find you at other retailers?
If you’re selling in-store:
- Is it a pop-up shop or a more permanent storefront?
- Are you selling at large conferences or conventions?
There are different pros and cons, but decide which is the best option for your brand.
5. Do Your Research
As previously mentioned, doing research is absolutely essential. There are so many elements going into the creation of your brand and it’s more than just selling your product—you need to truly know your product.
In a sea of options, don’t go with lesser-than pieces just because you didn’t take the time to know what you want. Learn the differences between each clothing option, wholesale retailer, and design idea.
Be thorough—this is your reputation on the line!
6. Choose Quality Products
Investing in starting a fashion brand can be a costly venture. When you choose your wholesale retailer, make sure you’re confident in their ability to deliver quality products. You are already putting in your time, resources, and energy into the creation of your brand, so your pieces need to be up to your standards.
Of course, know your budget and stay within those guidelines. Just be sure to account for the level of quality you’re striving for.
7. Develop a Marketing Strategy
A marketing strategy is crucial to any new business. You’ve found your vision, gotten familiar with your customers, crunched the numbers, and done your research. Now it’s time to get your brand out there for people to experience. If you don’t know how to communicate your vision and product offerings, your company won’t see sales.
Here are some ideas to get started on your marketing strategy:
- Promote on social platforms
- Consider doing pre-sales
- Sell products at events
- Develop your unboxing experience
There are a lot of directions you can take in a marketing campaign, but there are two things to remember. Execute a marketing strategy that is both:
- Increases your conversion rate
These will give you the best return on your investment.
Now that you’re more clear on your direction, here are some insider tips to keep in mind:
- Always monitor trends. In the fashion industry, things are always changing. Keeping up to date on current trends will allow you to plan your launches months in advance. It will also help increase your conversion rate, as shoppers will be more likely to buy trendy items.
- Focus your designing efforts on your target market. It’s easy to get distracted and try to take on a variety of designs, especially after your initial launch. It’s important to remember that you’re still designing and planning launches for your target market. While trends may change and your audience could evolve, always remember to design for those customers. If you stray too far, you could lose your existing customers.
- Work on your presentation. Presentation is everything. In a saturated industry where everyone is starting a fashion brand, you have to master your presentation to show shoppers the benefits of your product. Your presentation includes your overall store design, brand vision, product photos, product descriptions, and more.
- Maintain relationships. Keep good relationships with your suppliers to receive quality and timely service. This ensures your brand’s consistency, which goes a long way in fostering customer loyalty. Speaking of, make sure to maintain a relationship with your customers. Keep in touch, update them on new developments, and ask for feedback whenever possible.
Use Orange Shine for Your Wholesale Clothing Needs
If you’re looking to buy boutique clothes wholesale, check out Orange Shine for quality pieces. Orange Shine is an industry leader with extensive knowledge and experience in the fashion world.
For all of your wholesale clothing needs, visit our website and learn more about how we can help you get started. Find a wide range of chic styles and start figuring out your product offerings today!