NYFW FALL 2020: This year marked the first time that NYFW displayed their first entirely VIRTUAL fashion week. Given the state of affairs with the current COVID-19 pandemic, designers could not exhibit their masterpieces at Spring Studios or the Whitney Museum. Instead, the fashion shows took place online. The CDFA had the “Runway 360” platform, where some designers would showcase their garments & collections via livestream.
The audience had mixed reviews to the event. Some designers streamed shows in unique locations, such as Central Park & midtown rooftops. Masks were common on models. Several designers even incorporated masks as accessories to match full outfits.
However, some designers did not conduct live shows. Some prerecorded videos in a lookbook or documentary style format. Others did not incorporate film at all, but created slideshows of photos.
Despite the struggles that COVID-19 has imposed on the fashion industry, there were certainly many creative ensembles in NYFW. These are six standout looks from September 2020’s New York Fashion Week:
1. Alice & Olivia did an outdoor showing in NYC – while donning facemasks as part of their outfits!
2. Christian Siriano actually unveiled his fashion show from his home in Westport, CT.
3. Rebecca Minkoff showcased a grungy, rockstar-vibe show – with the skyline of NYC in the background.
4. Nicole Miller elegantly presented an exotic, bohemian-style exhibition of her garments.
5. Tomo Koizumi went all out with these intricate, textured dresses!
6. Ulla Johnson lavishly displayed lavender ruffles! The outfit gets a subtly woodsy, nature-inspired vibe with the wooden-soled shoes.
Which look was your favorite from NYFW Fall 2020? Let us know in the comments below! ⬇
Most recent post: Fall 2020 Color Trends
Subscribe to our mailing list & stay tuned for more trend updates & style picks!
-Erica Lin, Sales & Marketing Specialist